PIEDMONT TRIAD INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AUTHORITY
CALL TO ARTISTS
The Project: The Piedmont Triad Airport Authority (PTAA) in partnership with the Cemala Foundation is accepting submissions from North Carolina artists for a suspended artwork in the Main Terminal of the airport facility. The piece will be hung in the center section, upper level area of the newly renovated Main Terminal of the airport. The PTAA and the Cemala Foundation believe this project will help PTI enhance the local cultural landscape and further enhance the facility by capturing the spirit of the Piedmont Triad through public art as a means to welcome patrons of the airport. This initiative will be the premier project of the new Art Master Plan set in place in 2014.
The Site: The Site will be known as the center section, upper level. The maximum horizontal bounds of the site is 16’ x 16’ and all parts of the artwork must be at least 10 feet above the finished floor. (plan in link) The artwork must be noncombustible, not interfere with planned sprinkler system heads and not require the addition of sprinkler system heads in this space. The artist will be responsible for all design, engineering, coordination with the Airport Authority Planning and Engineering Department, fabrication, storage, delivery, and installation.
The Budget: The budget for the design, fabrication and installation for this artwork is $40,000. The artwork site is located in the center section of the upper level of the terminal adjacent to the center escalator. This main level has undergone renovation between 2013 and 2015. The budget, unless otherwise stated, should include all costs including: design, materials, engineering, fabrication, installation, insurance, storage, and transportation.
Artist Eligibility: The Call to Artists is open to all professional artists with experience in implementing and working in the public arena who live or work in the State of North Carolina. Artists must be able to effectively work within the project timeline and collaborate with architects, engineers, and construction managers under contract to the Airport Authority.
Application Process: The Airport Authority will manage the application and selection process. An Artist Selection Panel will review applications and submissions and invite a short list of artists to come to the airport for a site visit and interview. The short listed artists will be given $500 to create a proposal for the site and be paid for mileage to and from the airport for the interview and proposal presentation. The Artist Selection Panel will then select an artist for final design/fabrication/installation process. The design will be presented to the Airport Authority Board for final approval.
Timeline for Project and/or Applications:
Deadline for submissions April 1, 2015
First Selection Panel April 2015
Short list Artists visit PTI and Interview April – May 2015
Concepts presented by Artists July 2015
Final Artist selected July 2015
Contract for final design July 2015
Fabrication and Installation September 2015
1. A PC-compatible disc, thumb drive or package sent through the Internet with a set of 10 digital images of works of previously completed public works of art. Accompany all submissions with an annotated image list, preferably with a photo of the image, name of artist, title of work, media and location of artwork, project budget and any other relevant information.
2. A professional resume and an artist’s statement (a one page letter stating interest in the project, outline artist’s approach to public art, in particular this project, and highlight relevant past experience on projects of similar scope and budget. Please include any connections you may have to the Piedmont Triad area.)
3. A self-addressed, stamped envelope for the return of your materials, if necessary.
4. All materials must be postmarked no later than April 1, 2015.
5. Notification of Artist Selection Panel results and the return of materials will be made by approximately May 15, 2015. Please send information to:
PTI Public Art Project
c/o Stephanie Freeman
1000 A. Ted Johnson Parkway
Greensboro, NC 27409
Please contact Cheryl Stewart at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions