Deadline to Apply: Monday, October 30, 2023
About Cone Health
From its beginnings in 1911 as a trust established by Bertha Lindau Cone, Cone Health has grown into one of North Carolina’s most extensive and trusted healthcare networks. As they expand to meet our community’s evolving healthcare needs, they continue to honor the values of our founders, who believed in accessible healthcare for all, regardless of their ability to pay.
Since caring for their first patient in 1953, Cone Health experts — 11,000 employees, 1,300 physicians, and 1,200 volunteers — have been committed to providing exceptional care to the community.
Recognized for our world-class expertise and compassionate care, the not-for-profit healthcare network now spans over 100 locations, including five hospitals, four ambulatory care centers, three outpatient surgery centers, seven urgent care centers, one retirement community, and more than 120 physician practices. These include primary and specialty care through Cone Health Medical Group and Triad HealthCare Network.
Why Art at Cone Health
Art has had a long and impactful historical place for Cone Health and the Cone family. Cone Health values the positive impact it can have on patients and staff because they know that an environment that invests in the arts will be a meaningful space for everyone. Studies show that well-designed hospital environments with an art focus can reduce patients’ anxiety and stress, accelerate recovery, shorten hospitalizations, reduce medication use, lessen pain, and promote well-being. Cone Health is committed to establishing and investing in the Arts and Healing by focusing on harnessing art’s beauty and emotional power to enhance the healing, waiting, and working environments throughout all of Cone Health’s campuses.
Signature Digital Artwork for the Parking Structure Screen at the Cone Health Heart and Vascular Center
Overview of the Heart and Vascular Center
Cone Health is working with HKS, an award-winning global architecture, interior design, planning, and advisory firm, to design a $200 Million Heart and Vascular Center, which will be adjacent to the Parking Structure.
The HVC will include new treatment areas with the latest technology and a stronger emphasis on disease prevention, rehabilitation, and community. Cone Health heart and vascular physicians provided over 83,000 patient appointments last year. That number is projected to grow by more than one thousand a year over the next decade. “With heart disease being the second leading cause of death in North Carolina, nearly everyone in the areas Cone Health serves is touched by cardiovascular disease,” points out Cone Health Board of Trustees Chair Mae Douglas. “These investments ensure we have the facilities and the expertise so that people live longer, fuller lives even after a cardiovascular diagnosis.”
The expansion of the Cone Health Heart & Vascular Center features a new 156,000 sq. ft., five-story heart and vascular outpatient tower purposefully located on The Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital campus. The project also includes 37,000 sq. ft. of new and renovated space inside the hospital to ensure the most specialized and coordinated care possible. A 775-space parking deck to improve access and convenience for heart and vascular patients is also part
Process for submitting a Letter of Intent
Artist or team of artists must:
- Reside in North Carolina, South Carolina, or Georgia
- Be able to work in the United States legally
- Embrace the Visioning Guidelines
Initial Submission must include:
- Statement of Interest
- Portfolio showcasing your previous comparable work
- A statement explaining how your body of work and process aligns with the visioning guidelines of the Heart and Vascular Center
- Up to four letters of reference supporting the quality of your work and ability to work with clients in a professional and productive manner
- Your Curriculum Vitae and Artist Biography
Timeline + Process
- September 15: Call for Artists Issued in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia
- October 30: Artist Letter of Interest submission deadline
- November 15: The Selection Committee selects the top three artists to complete a full proposal with concept renderings. (The final three artists will be paid $500)
- January 15: Deadline for full proposals
- January 22: Artists present proposal to the Steering Committee, leadership, and community stakeholders (via WebEx)
- February 1: The final artist or artist team is selected
- April 1: Digital images delivered to Cone Health